Yum

Yum

Monday, April 18, 2011

Savory Breakfast Muffins


I have made many batches of these. I love playing with savory instead of sweet, and I love the protein punch that these pack for starting off the day. I grab one of these on my way out the door and I have an instant healthy meal. The base allows for endless variations of flavors, and I plan to keep experimenting. They don't have the cake-y consistency of a normal muffin, so expect something more like a quiche or a souffle.

1 cup cottage cheese
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup almonds, ground into flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs lightly beaten
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt

variation 1:
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (in oil)
1/4 cup basil, finely chopped

variation 2:
artichoke hearts
spinach
feta cheese

variation 3:
diced sauteed potatoes
rosemary
pine nuts

variation 4:
sauteed chopped asparagus
pine nuts
basil

Preheat oven to 400.
Combine everything but 1/4 cup parmesan to sprinkle on top.
Bake 30-35 minutes until set, risen, and golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment